The event!

The event!
November 14th, 2010

Saturday, May 8, 2010

First Practice

I just got back from my first practice this morning. It was a little bit rough getting to the park by 6:45, but I appreciated running before it got too hot. We started out by listening to a "Mission Moment", which is when someone shares a story about the reasons they are committed to the cause.

One of the LLS staff members, Kelli, is a cancer survivor, and she shared her story. She was in her last month of law school in Austin when she was diagnosed with Stage 4 lymphoma. Hearing her talk about how devastated she and her family were by the diagnosis almost made me cry. She started chemotherapy and her sister and cousin found out about Team in Training and ran a marathon in her honor. She was so inspired by seeing them and all the other Team in Training participants, and felt like they were all running for her. After six months of chemo her cancer was in remission. She joined TNT and did two events, and now she is on staff.

After that, we ran two laps around the parking lot to warm up and stretched. Then, we started off around the 3 mile loop. I thought it was pretty early, but there were lots of people out. I started off jogging, but after a while I had to walk. I decided to keep going with the intervals, and fell in with a woman named Kathy who was doing the same thing. We did our intervals together, and finished the loop jogging. Overall, it wasn't so bad. Hopefully it will start to feel even easier before the mileage goes up too much. Next week, we run 3 miles again.

Back at the picnic table where we met, there was water, gatorade, bananas, and mini bagels. We then headed over to Finish Strong Sports on Washington to learn about running shoes and apparel. I, however, had to stop at the W Grill for a breakfast sandwich and a coffee.

At Finish Strong, I got a new pair of shoes--Asics Nimbus sneakers. They feel great, and they look pretty cool. We got a 15% discount for being there with Team in Training. I also got some intense moisture management socks. Apparently the cotton ones I've been wearing were just not going to cut it.

I'm excited for our Fundraising Clinic on Wednesday night. Also, tonight, my mentor Tori is having us over to brainstorm about a group fundraiser. I'm happy that I'm already at 36% ($910) thanks to all my amazing donors!

No comments:

Post a Comment