The event!

The event!
November 14th, 2010

Friday, May 7, 2010

Half Marathon

After hearing from my friend Kelli about the Team in Training program, I have decided to run a half marathon with them to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I'll be running the San Antonio Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon in November. So far, I have raised $760 (30% of the $2500 required to participate), so I feel like I'm off to a good start with the monetary side of things. At a kickoff party earlier this week, I met my teammates, mentor, coaches, and honored teammate. An honored teammate is someone who has or had cancer and serves as an inspiration for the team. Ours is named Andy. He's 6 years old and he is our coach's son. His cancer (acute lymphoblastic leukemia) is in remission.

Training starts Saturday (early!) with a three-mile run in Memorial Park. That's not much compared to the thirteen miles I eventually plan to run, but it is still more than I have ever run without walking (or collapsing). However, our coach promised that HE would be the last one to finish the first run, so that none of us would have to suffer that indignity. I guess he'll be crawling behind me.

Check out this page on Andy, my honored teammate!
http://www.teamintraining.org/chapter/txg/doc/1963753/Andy_Allen_-_Memorial.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment